Life Membership of Swimming Australia is a prestigious level of recognition for swimmers, coaches, administrators, officials and volunteers. As such, all Life Members have given extraordinary and outstanding service to Swimming Australia and its Member Organisations for more than a decade.
|1957||Mr Horrace Bennett*||VIC|
|1959||William Berge Phillips OBE*||NSW|
|1964||John Morrison MBE*||NSW|
|1967||Mr HB Ive*||VIC|
|1969||Dr DA Dowling OBE*||QLD|
|1973||William Harrison MBE*||TAS|
|1974||Sydney Grange AO OBE MVO*||NSW|
|1975||Mr JF Howson OBE*||WA|
|1980||Mr TM Herraman OAM*||SA|
|1980||Arch Steinback OBE*||QLD|
|1982||Mr Roger Smith AM*||TAS|
|1985||Mr William 'Bill' Slade MBE*||VIC|
|1986||Roger Pegram OAM MBE*||NSW|
|1991||Judge Peter Bowen Pain AM*||SA|
|1996||Mr CB Rickards*||TAS|
|1996||Bruce Conway FCPA||NSW|
|1997||Evelyn Dill-Macky AM*||NSW|
|1997||Greg Lalor AM*||QLD|
|1997||EJ 'Joe' King AM*||QLD|
|1999||Terrance Gathercole AM*||NSW|
|1999||Geoff Hare OAM||VIC|
|2001||Mr W Willis*||QLD|
|2003||John Devitt AM||NSW|
|2003||Forbes Carlile MBE*||NSW|
|2004||Don Talbot OBE||NSW|
|2005||Don Blew AM||TAS|
|2007||John Keppie OAM||QLD|
|2009||Peter Graham OAM||SA|
|2009||Margaret Pugh OAM||QLD|
|2010||Cliff Harris OAM||NSW|
|2011||Lynne Bates AM||NSW|
|2018||Janice Cameron OAM*||QLD|
|2019||Dawn Fraser, AC MBE||
|2020||Chris Fydler OAM||NSW|
|2020||Harry Gallagher OAM*||QLD|
|2020||Susie O'Neill AM||QLD|
Life Membership Criteria
- Selection Criteria
- Served at least ten (10) years, not necessarily consecutive, as an Athlete, Administrator, Coach, Technical Official or Volunteer. If a swimmer is being considered, this person will have competed at the international level for a minimum of five years. In addition, swimmers need to have been actively involved in significant promotion through Swimming Australia activity (involved in junior participation, PR, marketing or ambassadorial roles) or have undertaken other significant service through coaching, administration or volunteering either at the national or state levels of swimming.
- Upheld Swimming Australia’s Safe Sport Framework principles.
- The outstanding contribution the service has made to the growth, development and standing of the sport in the broader community.
- The service must be diligent, extraordinary and the applicant’s achievements must be above and beyond what could reasonably be expected, within the swimming community.
- The nominee’s service shall be recognised as having made a significant impact to the sport of swimming in Australia.
- The values and behaviours that the nominee has demonstrated in their ethical and exemplary service and their reputation and standing within the swimming community.
- Any (other) factor considered relevant to life membership consideration by the Working Group.