A key element of the Australia’s High Performance strategy is to identify our high-potential athletes and ensure they receive the right support at the right time in their pathway.
Athlete Categories has been developed to provide a consistent basis, both within and across sports, to:
• Identify the athletes with the greatest potential to contribute to Australia's high performance targets;
• Track their performance over time;
• Inform the prioritisation of support to these athletes.
To inform the swimming specific nominations to the Athlete Categories, Swimming Australia Ltd. (SAL) has developed the SAL Athlete Categorisation Nomination Guidelines 2017-2020. SAL will review its categorisation nominations after the annual domestic season and annual senior international benchmark events.
SAL will use the outcome of the categorisation process to:
- Nominate athletes to the AIS’s Athlete Categories;
- Inform SAL recommendations made to the State Institutes/State Academies of Sport (SIS/SAS) regarding the provision of support (scholarships) as required, noting that not all Institutes utilise the Athlete Categories system;
- SAL’s recommendations around the allocation of Commonwealth Government support through the dAIS scheme (direct athlete support) which is administered by the AIS; and
- SAL support which may include access to financial support, altitude training camps, non-benchmark competitions, selection for various event and skill specific training camps, access to the AIS/SAL National Training Centre services and facilities
The hierarchy of Athlete Categories will be used to inform (but may not determine) the prioritisation of the SAL, AIS and SIS/SAS high performance resources. It is important to note that the provision of services from the AIS and SIS/SAS is subject to available resources. Being an categorised athlete does not automatically entitle an athlete to receive support from the AIS and/or SIS/SAS, and athletes within the same category may not receive the same level of support.
Categorisation Nomination Guidelines 2017-2020
- Categorisation Nomination Guidelines 2017-2020
- Olympic Program - Categorisation List 2017-2020
- Paralympic Program - Categorisation List 2017-2020
The SAL Athlete Categorisation Nomination Guidelines 2017–2020 apply to Olympic Pool, Olympic Open Water and Paralympic Swimmers who compete in an event on the Olympic or Paralympic Games program. To be prioritised for support an athlete must demonstrate potential for future success. Past results alone are not the sole consideration. The first requirement for a swimmer to be included in the Athlete Categories is achievement of the performance standards as outlined in the Guidelines. SAL acknowledges that there may be swimmers who are not currently categorised, but who may go on to contribute to the targets. When these athletes meet the required performance standards, they will be proposed for inclusion when the biannual review of nominations occurs.