Originally born in South Africa but now living on the Sunshine Coast, Dedekind took up swimming at an early age with her twin brother. The young Dolphin started taking her training seriously in 2012 and by 2016, had been selected to represent Australia at her first international event – the Rio Paralympics. On her debut she managed to snare a bronze medal in the Women’s 100m Backstroke (S13) and made it to the final of the 400m freestyle. Competing at the 2018 Para Pan Pacs in Cairns, Dedekind collected a gold, silver and bronze medal. Following her impressive swims into 2019, her selection on the 2019 World Para Swimming team marked Dedekind’s fourth Dolphins call up and most recently, she was selected onto her second Paralympic team set to represent Australia in Tokyo.Read More
Rio, Brazil 2016
- Won bronze in the Women’s 100m Backstroke (S13)
- Placed 7th in the Women’s 400m Freestyle (S13)
Tokyo, Japan 2020 (2021)
- Won bronze in the Women's 400m Freestyle (S13)
- Won bronze in the Women's 100m Backstroke (S13)
- Placed 4th in the Women's 50m Freestyle (S13)
Para Pan Pacific Championships
Cairns, Australia 2018
- Won gold in the Women’s 100m Backstroke (S13)
- Won silver in the Women’s 400m Freestyle (S13)
- Won bronze in the Women’s 200m Individual Medley (SM13)
World Para Swimming Championships
London, England 2019
- Placed 6th in the Women’s 100m Backstroke (S13)
- Placed 6th in the Women’s 100m Freestyle (S13)
- Placed 6th in the Mixed 4x100m Freestyle (49 points)
- Placed 7th in the Women’s 50m Freestyle (S13)
Dedekind was also selected to compete at the 2017 World Para Swimming Championships in Mexico City, however due to a deadly earthquake a week out from the start date, the Australian team pulled out of the postponed event.
In The Pool
Pan Pacific Para Championships
- Australian Records
|Women's 100m Backstroke (S13)||
|Tokyo Aquatic Centre, Paralympics||
26 August 2021
Get to know Katja
- What's your favourite swimming memory?
- What's on your pre-race playlist?
- Three words that best describe me...
- What are your hobbies away from swimming?
- What's something interesting about you that most people don't know?
Winning a bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Paralympics.
I'm not too fussy - whatever is on Spotify!
I like reading when I'm not swimming.
I have a twin brother but we look nothing alike!