Taking up swimming at the age of 10, Queensland-born Schluter competed at his first Paralympics in 2016. Two years later, the Kawana Waters athlete picked up a silver medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the Men’s 200m Freestyle and two gold medals at the Para Pans Pacs in Cairns. At the World Para Swimming World Series in Melbourne, Schluter took home the trifecta, claiming a gold, silver and bronze medal, while at the 2019 World Para Championships he collected a bronze as part of the Mixed 4x100m freestyle relay (S14). Excitingly, Schluter will pull on the green and gold in 2021 when he competes at the Tokyo Paralympic Games.Read More
Tokyo, Japan 2020
- Placed 4th in the Men's 200m Freestyle (S14)
- Placed 9th in the Men's 100m Butterfly (S14)
- Placed 10th in the Men's 200m Individual Medley (SM14)
Rio, Brazil 2016
- Placed 5th in the Men’s 200m Freestyle (S14)
- Placed 7th in the Men’s 200m Individual Medley (SM14)
Gold Coast, Australia 2018
Won a silver medal in the Men’s 200m Freestyle (S14)
Pan Pacific Para Championships
Cairns, Australia 2018
- Won gold in the Men’s 200m Freestyle (S14)
- Won gold in the 4x100m Mixed Freestyle Relay (56 points)
World Para Swimming Championships
London, England 2019
- Won bronze in the 4x100m Mixed Freestyle Relay (S14)
- Placed 4th in the Men’s 200m Freestyle (S14)
- Placed 5th in the Men’s 200m Individual Medley (SM14)
- Placed 7th in the Men’s 100m Butterfly (S14) (Oceania Record)
In The Pool
Pan Pacific Para Swimming Championships
World Para Championships
Get to know Liam
- Do you have any hobbies away from your sport?
- What is your sporting ambition?
- What three words describe you best?
- What's your favourite swimming memory?
- What's on your pre-race playlist?
- What's your ambition post-swimming?
- What's something interesting about you that people don't know?
I live near the beach so I like to go fishing and crabbing in my boat. I also enjoy the bush life, the adventures of travelling out to Western Queensland to see my family. Recently I travelled out there in my 4WD, hitting the dirt tracks and tackling the mud. I enjoy body boarding at the beach as well. I also love working on the farm.
To win a medal at the Commonwealth Games, be selected onto the Para Pan Pac's team and go to the Tokyo Para Games in 2021.
Breaking the world record in the 200m freestyle.
I love country music from Luke Bryan, and also the hottest hits they play at Kawana Waters Aquatic Centre.
I think I'd like to get into pool maintenance.
I tried every other sport before swimming!