Applying for Course Exemption

Lane ropes

Find all the FAQ's and need to knows on how to apply for coaching course exemptions below. 

Apply for Exemption

  • Pre-Approval
  • Step 1

    Complete the pre-approval application form here to help us determine your eligibility to progress to the formal Application for Exemption process.









    Step 2

    Once we have assessed your pre-approval information, we will contact you to either:

    • discuss the next steps in Applying for Exemption and what the process will involve, or
    • let you know that you are not eligible for exemption at this time
  • Learning Outcomes
  • If you are approved to progress to the Application for Exemption process, you must download the appropriate coaching course learning outcomes to assist in building your Portfolio of Evidence. You must reference the units which make up the Course, and the specific learning outcomes for each unit in your application. 

    Development Course learning outcomes

    Advanced Course learning outcomes

    Performance Course learning outcomes

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Exemption?
  • Exemption is a term covering Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) in education courses. 

  • What is the difference between Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit transfer (CT)?
  • These two types of exemption differ based on what type of evidence you have.

    You can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if you can demonstrate your previous study, work history and / or life experiences match one or more of the units in the course you are wanting to complete. You must be able to demonstrate that you have achieved the skills and knowledge equivalent to all the learning outcomes of the unit/s.  Evidence demonstrating these achievements should be through a portfolio of evidence.

    You can apply for Credit Transfer (CT) if you have successful completed the unit/s previously, or successfully completed a unit with the equivalent curriculum content, learning outcomes and assessments, or if you have successfully completed a combination of units that collectively cover the content and learning outcomes of the unit/s for which you are seeking exemption.

  • How do I know if I can apply for RPL or CT?
  • You need to have an outline of the course content and the details of the learning outcomes which make up the unit/s. This can be found under Step 1 above. 

    You should think carefully about the evidence you have and how it matches the criteria. This evidence will be used to assess the skills and knowledge required for the unit/s.

  • What are the benefits of applying for RPL or CT?
  • If you are successful in your application, you can save yourself time because you will not have to complete all the units in your course.

    It can save you money because it may cost less than full enrolment in the course.

  • Does it cost anything to apply for RPL or CT?
  • Yes, there is a fee based on the level you are applying for.

    The assessment process is very thorough and is conducted by a qualified assessor. This takes time and expertise. While there is a cost, the assessment process can save you time in not having to complete some or all the course units.

    Note: there is no refund given on fees if your application is successful. If you are unsuccessful and need to enrol in the course, you will receive credit towards enrolment into that course to the value of the fee paid for your application.

  • Is there any criteria for the evidence I need to submit in my Portfolio of Evidence?
  • Evidence can be submitted in various formats but needs to satisfy certain criteria. It is not the evidence itself which demonstrates competency, rather it is what the evidence contains and conveys about the achievement of the learning outcome it supports.

    Evidence must be:

    • Valid
    • Sufficient
    • Authentic, and
    • Current

    Current evidence is generally recognised as evidence from within the last 5 years, and may need to be within the last 2 years for accreditation purposes.

    Evidence can be either Direct or Indirect.

    Direct or Primary Evidence is evidence that is original, has not been modified and has not been altered through modification or interpretation. It is a factual sample and represents something unchanged.

    Indirect or Secondary Evidence is evidence that is an account written after the fact with the benefit of hindsight. It is an interpretation, a commentary, or an evaluation of direct evidence. It is often an unverified personal account of history or events.


  • What kind of evidence is required and accepted?
  • Direct evidence, when relevant and verified, generally carries more value than indirect evidence. In the absence of direct evidence, a combination of several examples of verified indirect evidence may be sufficient. 

    The following table lists some of the types of evidence typically accepted:

    Evidence Type Personal Information Workplace Information 3rd Party Information
    Direct or Primary

    Certifications / Qualifications

    Statement of Attainment

    Rosters or payslips

    Workplace / industry awards

    Professional memberships 

    Workplace documents that the candidate works with or developed themselves

    Samples of work, plans, projects, workplace records / forms 

    Photographs or videos of candidates work

    Work observation records

    Work skills demonstration records

    Knowledge assessment results

    Indirect or Secondary

    Resume or Curriculum Vitae

    Job position description

    Training diaries / records

    Performance reviews

    Memos / letters / reports / emails

    Organisation policies / charts / checklists

    Minutes of meetings

    Completed job cards

    Industry standards the organisation uses

    Written references or letters of verification or support

    Customer / client feedback

    Published articles 


  • Organising and labelling your Portfolio of Evidence
  • For each item of evidence, you need to work out which of the learning outcomes it relates to. This should be indicated in the appropriate place on the application, as well as on the evidence. 

    For some items of evidence, it may be appropriate to indicate which part of the item is relevant to which learning outcome.  Make sure that you have clear references in each of your applications to any relevant evidence, so that assessors can easily locate it.

  • How much exemption can I apply for?
  • For the Development Course, assessment is available for the entire course only. Applications for assessment for only part of the course will not be accepted. You must be able to show evidence of meeting all the learning outcomes for all units within the full course.

    For the Advanced Course and Performance Course, the number and specific units you can apply for depend on the course level you’re applying for and your entry point, taking into account your previous education and industry experience.

    View the application criteria for the Advanced and Performance Courses here.

  • International coaches
  • International coaches may apply for RPL or CT by following the same process.

  • How will I be notified of the assessment outcome?
  • You will be advised in writing of the outcome of your application.

    If your application is successful, you will be granted exemption from the course/unit. You will still need to complete any remaining units in the relevant course to successfully complete the course.

    If your application is unsuccessful, you will need to enrol in the full course and complete all requirements.

  • Is there an appeal process?
  • If you do not agree with the outcome of your exemption application you may contact Swimming Australia, and a representative will try to resolve any issues you may have. If a suitable resolution cannot be found, you can submit a written appeal. 

    For more details on the appeals process, please click here.

  • What happens to my accreditation if my application is unsuccessful?
  • If your application is unsuccessful, you will need to complete all units of the course to achieve your Statement of Attainment and be eligible for Swimming Australia Coach Accreditation at that level.

    You will need to enrol in and pay for the entire course or the units you were unsuccessful in being granted exemption.

    If your application is unsuccessful, you will receive a voucher to the value of the application fee you’ve paid for the exemption assessment. You can use this voucher against the cost of enrolling in the course / unit.

  • Where can I get more information?
  • To find out more about how to apply for exemption, please email 

Was this page helpful?yesno

Thanks for your feedback.

Go back to top