Swimming, similar to many other sports, relies heavily on volunteers. Swimming competitions and events are important to the development of our swimmers and without the assistance and guidance of technical officials, these events cannot be run. Becoming a technical official is rewarding and an excellent way to contribute to the sport, spend time with your children, create great friendships and gain professional development.
Want to hear direct from us about officiating matters?
Join our new Officiating Australia mailing list to receive:
- Officiating news and information
- Roster calls for future national events
For experienced, new, 'maybe one day' Officials, administrators and coaches. Unsubscribe at any time or update your contact details via the link in emails.
How to become a Technical Offical
- Where to start
- Available Training
- Pool Technical Officials Pathway
Becoming a technical official can be a very rewarding role. Not only are there opportunities to travel around the country and overseas, you also get to meet loads of great people too!
To find out how you can become an official today, please contact your state or territory swimming association from the links below.
Swimming Australia now have eight officiating modules online! If you are interested in becoming accredited in any of the below positions, click on the links and start learning!
* Please note, we also have Marshal & Check Starter, Starter and Recorder online training available. Click on the links below to go to each of the training portals or contact your State or Territory Association to get started.
Please note this diagram shows the pool technical official roles that are available. Technical officials start with General Principles, then can move up through the various roles as they see fit.
Technical Official Resources
- FINA List EOI
- Current FINA TSC members on the expiring lists are not included within Australia’s quota.
- The maximum age of FINA Technical Officials shall be 65 years when the application is made for the respective list. Accordingly, only applicants born in 1955 or later can be accepted.
- Expressions of Interest open 31st March – 26th April
- Shortlist, interviews, recommendations 27th April to 15th May
- Swimming Australia Board ratification 29th May
- Finalise and submit all details to FINA by 30th June
- Rules, By Laws and Policies
- State & Territory Contacts
- NSW: Josh Karp, email@example.com
- NT: Anish Dhakal, firstname.lastname@example.org
- QLD: Julie Majer, email@example.com
- SA: Tania Carlino, firstname.lastname@example.org
- TAS, Tom Hancock, email@example.com
- VIC: Jennifer Blackman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- WA, Tiffany Blight, email@example.com
- State & Territory TSC Contacts
- NSW: Graeme Field, Graeme.Field@health.nsw.gov.au
- NT: Marg Chamberlain, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Paul Carter, email@example.com
- QLD: Alan Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SA: Darren McLachlan, email@example.com
- TAS, Tracey Rowell, firstname.lastname@example.org
- VIC: Jackie Madden, email@example.com
- WA, Kaye Bolger, firstname.lastname@example.org
31-Mar-20 Swimming Australia is today calling for Expressions of Interest for suitably qualified Technical Officials to join the FINA Swimming Officials List No 21 and FINA Open Water Swimming List No 14.
These lists will be valid from 01-Jan-21 to 31-Dec-24, and will include new certifications as well as the renewed certifications from expiring lists. Please note that:
The application and selection process will be managed by the Swimming Australia Technical Swimming Committee in accordance with the FINA List Nomination Process according to this timeline:
Expressions of Interest should be submitted on the FINA EOI Form and submitted in pdf format to email@example.com by 11:45pm Australian East Coast time Sunday 26th April 2020. All received applications will be acknowledged. Further information will be sought from shortlisted or successful candidates. Please use the attached form and not the earlier version contained within the policy.
Queries may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to respond within a week. Any relevant updates will be posted on this page.
Gain access to all the swimming rules here