The wait is nearly over as the countdown continues to the 2019 Hancock Prospecting Australian Swimming Championships!
Beginning on Sunday 7 April at the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre, the six-day event will see some of the country’s best battle it out in the pool.
Although you don’t need any extra incentives to attend the iconic national spectacle, we thought we’d devise a list of 19 reasons you should attend the 2019 Champs – just for fun...
- Kyle Chalmers – the hometown hero and Olympic champion will be striving to claim Australian titles in his own backyard.
- Powerhouses in the pool – with the likes of Olympians and Dolphin leaders Cate and Bronte Campbell as well as world record holder Ariarne Titmus, there’ll be no shortage of talent making waves in the pool.
- Paralympic champions – Paralympians Ellie Cole and Brendan Hall will be among the many fighting for a spot to represent Australia at the World Para Swimming Championships.
- Dawn Fraser – swimming legend Dawn Fraser will be poolside. Come along and say hello to one of our most successful Olympic athletes.
- Chances to win – there will be plenty of giveaways including arena and Bio Island goodies!
- Personalised arena merchandise – make sure you grab your official personalised event merchandise – including hoodies and T-shirts – ensuring you never get your gear mixed up with someone else; such a gamechanger!
- Channel 7 team – an expert team has been assembled to bring you all the latest news and interviews. Olympians Ian Thorpe and Giaan Rooney will be poolside with host, Basil Zempilas.
- iSwim marquee – download the free iSwim app and collect a free bag tag from an Australian Dolphin. The iSwim marquee will be located in Centre Lane, so make sure you head down for your chance to meet Cate Campbell, Bronte Campbell and Mitch Larkin.
- The Bio Island bike and blend – it’s back and ready for action. Pick your favourite ingredients and pedal yourself a nutritious drink.
- Pre-race entertainment – the stands will go wild as spectators support their local swim club in the Swim Club Relays. A must watch!
- Adelaide Activities – South Australia boasts a plethora of family-friendly activities, including the Mega Adventure aerial park, mini golf and picturesque beaches – all within a 15-minute drive of the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre. In addition, from 5-7 April the Tasting Australia Festival is on. It’s sure to get your mouth watering, so check out all the details here.
- Favourite destinations – furthermore, stay and explore South Australia. Kyle Chalmers recommends his three favourite destinations – the Adelaide Zoo reptile house, Glenelg and Hahndorf.
- DJ Dolphins – ever wondered what our Dolphins listen to pre-race? We’ll be playing our swim team’s pre-race playlist throughout the event.
- arena shop – as the official apparel supplier of the Australian Dolphins, arena will sell swimsuits and accessories at the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre shop.
- Will they qualify? – Aussies will be fighting for a chance to wear the green and gold not only at the World Para Swimming Championships, but also at the World University Games – so there’s no doubt the stakes are high.
- Wingspan challenge – how do you measure up against the likes of Mack Horton or Cate Campbell?
- Take a dip – why not go for a swim yourself? With all the action taking place at the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre, why not do your own laps before watching the pros?
- Find Your 30 – an initiative by Sport Australia promoting 30 minutes of exercise, get your stroll on around Centre Lane and get those steps up.
- Atmosphere – an electric atmosphere will fill the stands as the nation's best take to the pool, it will be a wonderful spectacle for everyone of all ages.