We're mixing things up in Melbourne at the Hancock Prospecting Australian Short Course Championships.
On Friday 25 October, two exhibition races will take place during the finals - the Men's Freestyle Skins and the Women's Freestyle Skins. Athletes will dash for cash in exciting new elimination format.
What is Skins?
It's less about times and more about racing. The skins format is a knockout system. In this event ten starters will line up for 100m freestyle. The top four will collect $100 and continue to the next round, the remaining field is eliminated. After a short rest, the same four will race 50m freestyle. The top two will collect $250 cash and continue to the final, the bottom two are eliminated.
The final dual is a fast and furious 25m dash with the winner taking home $1000.
Who will rule the pool?
It's a test of speed, endurance and stamina! The field is wide open to see who can back up the 100m freestyle with two 50m sprints.
Who is competing?
The Men's skins starting line up includes:
- Zac Incerti - UWA West Coast, WA
- Will Stockwell - Rackley Swim Team, QLD
- Matthew Temple - Nunawading, VIC
- Ashton Brinkworth - UWA West Coast, WA
- David Morgan - TSS Aquatic, QLD
- William Yang - Loreto Normanhurst, NSW
- Mack Horton - Melbourne Vicentre, VIC
- Lachlan Carter - Acacia Bayside, QLD
- Grayson Bell - TSS Aquatic, QLD
- Bowen Gough, Nunawading, VIC - WILDCARD entry via peer nomination
The Women's skins starting line up includes:
- Laura Taylor, TSS Aquatic, QLD
- Julia Hawkins, Nunawading, VIC
- Koti Ngawati, Melb Vicentre, VIC
- Olivia Lefoe, MLC Aquatic, VIC
- Jade Starr, Nudgee, QLD
- Kiah Melverton, TSS Aquatic, QLD
- Elyse Woods, Melb Vicentre, VIC
- Chelsea Gubecka, Yeronga Park, QLD - WILDCARD entry via peer nomination
- Brittany Castelluzzo, Tea Tree Gully, SA - WILDCARD entry via peer nomination
- Jessica Unicomb, Griffith Uni, QLD - WILDCARD entry via peer nomination
Get behind your favourite athlete and cheer them on.
It's almost showtime!