Project H2gr0w is a multi-faceted research project developed and instigated by Assoc. Professor Stephen Cobley (The University of Sydney) and Jamie Salter (Swimming Australia). The research project reflects a long-term collaboration between Swimming Australia and The University of Sydney and its respective community members.
Project H2gr0w is primarily concerned with examining adolescence, the time period where increased growth (growth spurt) and development (maturation) occurs at different times between individuals, including our swimmers. Growth and maturation is related to many things, including physical performance, particularly at the age-group level competition. Project H2gr0w focuses on these relationships.
Video creation by Stephen Cobley & Jamie Salter; production by The University of Sydney & Laundry Lane Productions.
Project H2gr0w Focus
- Track growth and maturation in developing swimmers. Examine the relationships of growth and maturation on the various aspects of performance development;
- Establish solutions that account for the influence of growth and maturation in development and performance; and
- Provide educational resources and materials to inform all community members (e.g., coaches; practitioners) about the growth and maturation process
Project H2gr0w Team Members
Project H2gr0w contains the following team members from respective institutions:
- Jamie Salter, Project Lead - Swimming Australia
- Ass. Prof. Stephen Cobley, Project Lead - The University of Sydney
- Shaun Abbott, PhD candidate - The University of Sydney
- Clorinda Hogan, Masters candidate – The University of Sydney
- John Eisenhuth, IT Technician - The University of Sydney
- Dr. Michael Romann, Swiss Institute of Sport, Switzerland
- Dr. Mirjam Hintermann, Swiss Institute of Sport, Switzerland
- Drew McGregor – Swimming Queensland
- Lachlan Mitchell – Queensland Academy of Sport
How to Get Involved
Whether you are a swimmer (10-16 years, male or female), parent or coach, you are invited to participate and be involved in Project H2gr0w. Our H2grOw Team will be in attendance at the following competitions throughout the 2020-2021 season:
New South Wales
- NSW Junior Metropolitan Championships: 28-29 Nov 2020
- NSW Senior State Age Championships: 12-17 Dec 2020
- NSW Country Championships: 19-21 Feb 2021
- NSW Junior State Age Championships: 28-29 Mar 2020
- Qld State Championships: 12-18 Dec 2020
- Qld National Preparation Meet: 21-22 Mar 2020
- SA Junior Participation Meet & Country Championships: 7-8 Jan 2021
- SA Division 1 (12 & Over) and State LC Relay Championships: 12-14 Feb 2021 - TBC
- SA State Age LC Championships: 4-8 Mar 2021
- WA State Age Championships: 18-22 Dec 2020*
- WA Junior Challenge: 4-8 March 2021
*Participants will be asked to submit self-report measures online to the H2grOw Team. Email instructions TBC.
If a particular state or regional event is not listed, you can still participate in Project H2gr0w. Please contact us using the details below to find out how.
If have any specific questions about Project H2gr0w or you would like to be involved, please contact the H2gr0w team
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any general enquiries about the project, please contact:
Jamie Salter (General Manager Performance Pathway)
Email Address: HPU.Pathways@swimming.org.au
If you have any research enquiries related to Project H2gr0w project or interested in post-graduate opportunities, please contact:
Stephen Cobley (The University of Sydney)
Email Address: email@example.com
List of Project H2grOw Publication Resources
- Research Papers
- Abbott, S., Yamauchi, G., Halaki, M., Torres Castiglioni, M., Salter, J., & Cobley, S. (in press). Longitudinal relationships between maturation, technical efficiency, and performance in age-group swimmers: Improving swimmer evaluation. International Journal of Sport Physiology & Performance.
- Abbott, S., Hogan, C., Torres Castiglioni, M., Yamauchi, G., Mitchell, L., Salter, J., Romann, M., & Cobley, S. (in press). Maturity-related developmental inequalities in age-group swimming: The testing of ‘Mat-CAPs’ for their removal. Journal of Science & Medicine in Sport.
- Moulds, K., Abbott, S., Pion, J., Brophy-Williams, C., Heathcote, M., & Cobley, S. (2020). A survival analysis of sport dropout in Australian youth swimmers. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 30, 2222-2233.
- Abbott, S., Moulds, K., Salter, J., Romann, M., Edwards, L., & Cobley, S. (2020). Testing the application of corrective adjustment procedures for removal of relative age effects in female youth swimming. Journal of Sports Sciences, 38(10), 1077-1084.
- Cobley, S., Abbott, S., Eisenhuth, J., Salter, J., McGregor, D., Romann, M. (2019). Removing relative age effects from youth swimming: The development and testing of corrective adjustment procedures. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 22(6), 735-740.
- Cobley, S., Abbott, S., Dogramaci, S., Kable, A., Salter, J., Hintermann, M., & Romann, M. (2018). Transient relative age effects across annual age groups in national level Australian swimming. Journal of Science & Medicine in Sport, 21(8), 839-845.
- Book Chapters
- Cobley, S., Abbott, S., Moulds, K., Hogan, C., & Romann, M. (2020). Re-balancing the relative age effect scales: Meta-analytical trends, causes, and corrective adjustment procedures as a solution. In J. Dixon, S. Horton, L. Chittle & J. Baker (Eds). Relative age effects in sport: International perspectives. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. (pp. 136-153).
- Cobley, S., Romann, M., Javet, M., Abbott, S., & Lovell, R. (in press). The shifting sands of time: Maturation and athlete development. In J. Baker, S. Cobley, & J. Schorer (Eds.), Talent identification and development in sport: International perspectives, (2nd ed). Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Cobley, S., Baker, J., & Schorer, J. (2020). Talent identification and development in sport: An introduction to a field of expanding research and practice. In J. Baker, S. Cobley, & J. Schorer (Eds.), Talent identification and development in sport: International perspectives, (2nd ed). Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Research Report
- Cobley, S. & Salter, J. (2020). Project H2grOw - The impact of growth & maturation on athlete development in swimming: Considerations for coaches, parents & swimmers. Brisbane, Australia: Swimming Australia.